Whether it is through our computer monitors, tablets, cell phones or other devices, we get a tremendous amount of screen time each week. Eyestrain becomes a concern when you are intensely focused on a task without taking a break. Glare, contrast levels, awkward viewing angles and a focus that frequently causes to blink less all contribute to possible issues with eyestrain.
The good news is that a few quick tips can help you avoid eyestrain issues.
• Take breaks – taking a short break helps you relax your posture and allows your eyes to rest from focusing on the screen.
• Adjust your lighting – find a comfortable light level for your device and surroundings
• Keep your screen clean – wipe down your device to avoid dust or smudges that may cause you to unknowingly strain your eyes
• Get your eyes checked – set up an appointment to get your eyes check to make sure you are not putting extra stress on your eyes by straining to focus
• Rethink your eyewear – if you wear glasses, ask about lens coatings such as anti reflective coating or tinting that can reduce glare and wear polarized sunglasses to avoid squinting when outdoors
A few simple tips can help you avoid a possible headache or other discomfort while still enjoying your technology.
*Image provided by Commons.wikimedia.org