With all the thought, money, time and effort that goes into the making of your eyeglasses it is no wonder when we scratch or tarnish our lens, it can be frustrating to say the least. There are a few steps you can follow to keep your spectacles looking as good as the day you brought them home for years and years to come.
- 1.)The best way to keep your lenses unscathed and your coatings working correctly is to wash them with simple soap and water. The American Optometric Association recommend this way of cleaning because the ingredients in the dish soap remove the dirt but do not dry the lenses out. Even some of the expensive lens cleaners out there do not compare to the gentle yet effective clean that you get from dish soap and water and a gentle, cotton cloth.
- 2.)Try to avoid cleaning your glasses with dry materials. Items such as a napkin, shirt tail, wash cloth or paper towel may be handy at the time but can be very hard on an optical lenses. Dry materials can actually scrape any dirt or dust onto the surface of the lens resulting in scratches back and forth from where the cloth was rubbed.
- 3.) Do not remove glasses with one hand. Removing your glasses from your face with two hands will always keep your glasses properly aligned and uphold the structural integrity of your frame.
- 4.) Have different sets of glasses for different tasks. If you work in a harsh environment, play sports or engage in any activity where your glasses are at risk- then it is wise to invest in task specific frames and lenses. Safety, sport and flexible frames on the market are designed to endure more than what your standard ophthalmic frame could withstand. Also, lenses made from Polycarbonate or Trivex material are impact resistant and very strong.
- 5.) When your glasses are not in use- keep them stored in a strong eyeglass case. It is so easy to want to throw your glasses into your purse, or leave them on your dashboard or not remove them when dealing with everyday chemicals such as hairspray or face products but it is a must to keep your glasses in top form. Taking the extra step to tuck them snuggly in their eyeglass case will ensure your glasses last.
Following these guidelines when you are an eyeglass owner will ensure you get the most out of every pair for as long as possible.